I was always told that paintings were more than just a piece of art, they actually told a story or had some sort of message in them, but I never new that photographs were the same way until I read The Language of Pictures. Now, looking back at some of the pictures I have taken, they actually do tell a story; who knows? Maybe I just have a natural gift in taking photos! It is amazing how professional photographers use certain techniques in how they take a picture by using different lights, color, objects, and emotions to get a message across to the viewer. Like when Minor White says "I don't take pictures, I make them," he strategically arranges and displays things to make it have meaning and tell a story. Reading this story really makes me want to visit an art gallery so I can analyze pictures and paintings by using the "basic things to look for in understanding the language of pictures." ( Mr. Roesler, I am definitely feeling a class field trip in the near future!)
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Jessica, I totally agree with you when you said that you knew that paintings told a story but never really thought about that being true for photographs. When we take pictures, I think we subconsiously do things to make the photograph turn out better, like turn on and off the flash, or get people out of shadows, or have people pose. We do most of these things without even thinking about it. :) maybe we are just awesome photographers!
since we're speaking of photos...
nice slideshow.
haha
Now that I have read your blog, I thought of how we, the non-professional photographers, do take pictures that have meaning everyday!
Your blog made me think about how my friends and I say, okay now pose "emo" haha. And how sometimes we are feeling sad and say, "I'm gonna take a depressing picture" and from that we build our own pose to express that feeling so the viewer can figure out the interpretation that we are trying to give them.
very cool =)
Post a Comment