Monday, February 05, 2007
THINKING ABOUT DOROTHEA LANGE'S MIGRANT MOTHER, NIPOMO, CALIFORNIA
The picture of Lange's Migrant Mother, Nipomo, California is a very strong picture. It is a picture of a mother with her two children on either side of her with their faces turned away from the camera. There are many questions about the arrangement of the mother and her two children in this photo. Some people think that Lange specifically put them in those positions but there is no evidence to prove that. Lange believed that "it was nobler to show life as it is than it is to invent compositions." From this I believe that she did not pose her subject to make the pictures stronger. When reading the essay by Bruce Dean he mentions that in a picture less is more "more inclusive pictures are less effective- less impressive, less moving". I think that ultimately depends on the picture, there are many famous pictures that are bright and colorful with lots of movement. It all depends on personal preference. Not everyone will have the same thoughts and ideas about the same photo nor will they portray the same meaning to different people. Personal experience, background and beliefs play a big role in what a picture means to each person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I would have to agree with you. It is a very strong picture and very moving. It just goes to show that no matter what your put through you can make it. The mother in the picture has got courage to take that picture and now and show everyone that she has nothing.
I agree 100% that personal experience and personal beliefs really affect that way one may view a photograph. I never thought about that before, but now that you point that out, I totally agree!
Personal experience, background and beliefs do have a huge influence on how a person feels about a picture, which is a good observation. To someone who has been homeless, Migrant Mother’s facial expression might evoke sympathy and compassion because they have been in a similar plight before. I on the other hand have always been lucky enough to have a roof over my head, and I am simply left to make the best assumption I can based on my knowledge of her circumstances. I can only imagine the hopelessness, despair, and yet dignity she must be feeling as she is struggling to keep her family together, safe, and alive.
Post a Comment